Cebu City, Cebu: Why The Henry Is Like No Other
Fancy hotel rooms furnished with soft queen-sized beds wrapped in multiple layers of sheets, equipped with the comforts of A/C units and hot & cold showers is a luxury I can rarely (rare as in I can’t remember the last time) afford, especially when traveling alone. But rare occasions like today call for a different hotel experience – somewhere unique, somewhere bizarre, something like a boutique hotel in Cebu City called The Henry. Boutique what?
For starters, let’s begin by briefly describing a “boutique hotel” (especially for us who don’t have any idea what the heck that means). By definition, a boutique hotel is basically a small luxury hotel, in terms of number of rooms which ranges from ten to a hundred. But above all, what sets a boutique hotel from others is its keen approach to interior design and detail, and unparalleled service.
The Henry is a one-of-a-kind boutique hotel located at the heart of Metro Cebu’s urban jungle. From the building’s radical facade dominated by black, to the hotel lobby’s interiors touched by a modern industrial design fused with a classic feel, one can tell that The Henry was conceived with elegance and style in mind. The audacity of the polished concrete gave a striking emphasis to art installations and vintage travel paraphernalia strategically positioned within the confines of the exuberant hotel lobby. The whole place actually reminded me of Antipolo, Rizal’s Pinto Art Museum.
In my utmost admiration of The Henry, I told the very kind concierge how impressed I was with the lobby alone, and she replied, “Wait ’til you see the room“. And she wasn’t bluffing. The bedroom screams with sophistication yet retains a modest splendor into it. The shaggy rug on the shiny floor, the textured wall in contrast with the smoothness of the ceiling, the warmth of wood on cold concrete – each detail complement the other. Even the lighting fixtures and furniture, not to mention the massive bed as centerpiece, seemed carefully handpicked. Each element creates balance and contrast like a perfectly composed photograph.
This day was our dad’s birthday. We were seeking for something out of the ordinary and The Henry totally exceeded our expectations. The Henry is beyond a hotel – it’s a sanctuary, not for travelers alone, but for artist and art enthusiast on a holiday as well. The vibe of The Henry could ignite ideas, or serve as an inspiration. This boutique hotel lives up to its name, The Henry is really “like no other”
1. The Henry is located at 1 Paseo Saturnino, Maria Lusia Road, Banilad, Cebu City. It’s easy to go there, take a cab (well, I’m still figuring out how to commute going to The Henry)
2. I’m not really sure about the room rates but you could contact them via landline +63 32 520 8877 or mobile +63 917 305 0737. Check out their website for more information, The Henry website or visit their Facebook page.
3. Breakfast buffet was really good. Bottomless BACON, and everything. It’s not included with the bedroom package, in our case.
4. They have a pool. It’s a bonus.
5. More destinations in Biyaheng Cebu
6. Like Biyaherong Barat on Facebook.
7. Follow @BiyaherongBarat on Twitter
8. Enjoy your stay and have a safe trip.